Dennis L. Montgomery | WIKIPEDIA
Montgomery’s software claims were reportedly responsible for a false terror alert which grounded international flights and caused Department of Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge to raise the government’s security level. In February 2006, the FBI and U.S. Air Force office of Special Investigations opened an economic espionage and theft of intellectual property investigation into Montgomery and Blxware.
DNI Negroponte Asserts the State Secrets Privilege
50 USC 403-1(i): Intelligence Sources and Methods | PRO PUBLICA
Sec. 403-1. Responsibilities and authorities of the Director of National Intelligence
(a) Provision of intelligence (1) The Director of National Intelligence shall be responsible for ensuring that national intelligence is provided-- (A) to the President; (B) to the heads of departments and agencies of the executive branch; (C) to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and senior military commanders; (D) to the Senate and House of Representatives and the committees thereof; and (E) to such other persons as the Director of National Intelligence determines to be appropriate. (2) Such national intelligence should be timely, objective, independent of political considerations, and based upon all sources available to the intelligence community and other appropriate entities.
(b) Access to intelligence Unless otherwise directed by the President, the Director of National Intelligence shall have access to all national intelligence and intelligence related to the national security which is collected by any Federal department, agency, or other entity, except as otherwise provided by law or, as appropriate, under guidelines agreed upon by the Attorney General and the Director of National Intelligence.
Report: Programmer Conned CIA, Pentagon Into Buying Bogus Anti-Terror Code | WIRED | DEC 28, 2009
Hiding Details of Dubious Deal, U.S. Invokes National Security | NEW YORK TIMES | FEB 19, 2011
Interviews with more than two dozen current and former officials and business associates and a review of documents show that Mr. Montgomery and his associates received more than $20 million in government contracts by claiming that software he had developed could help stop Al Qaeda’s next attack on the United States. But the technology appears to have been a hoax, and a series of government agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency and the Air Force, repeatedly missed the warning signs, the records and interviews show.
Seattleland: Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Yarrow Point Connection | SEATTLE WEEKLY | JUN 10, 2014
How a Reno casino con man duped the CIA and pulled one of the ‘most dangerous hoaxes’ in American history | PBS | OCT 14, 2014
Dennis L. Montgomery | WIKIPEDIA | APR 12 2017
In June 2014, reporter Stephen Lemons of the Phoenix New Times wrote that Montgomery had been hired by Sheriff Joe Arpaio of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO) as a confidential informant. Lemons, citing an anonymous source in the MCSO, said that Montgomery had claimed that, using data he had obtained while working for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), he could prove there was a conspiracy against Arpaio between the U.S. Department of Justice and G. Murray Snow, the federal judge presiding over a racial-profiling lawsuit filed against Maricopa County. In April 2015, Arpaio confirmed the confidential informant relationship in testimony before Judge Snow. At Arpaio’s request, two National Security Agency computer specialists examined Montgomery’s material and concluded, contrary to Montgomery’s representations, that it did not contain data from the CIA. Arpaio later characterized the result of Montgomery’s investigation as “junk”.
In May 2015, Montgomery attempted to intervene in the contempt proceedings against Joe Arpaio that had stemmed from the racial-profiling lawsuit. Montgomery, through his counsel Larry Klayman, asked Judge Snow to recuse himself; Montgomery also asked the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit to replace the judge, but the court declined to do so.
- Lichtblau, Eric; Risen, James (February 19, 2012). “Hiding Details of Dubious Deal, U.S. Invokes National Security”. New York Times.
- The Man Who Conned the Pentagon,[dead link] (alternative link) by Aram Roston, Playboy Magazine, January 2010. (subscription required)
- Williams, Christopher (December 24, 2009). “Software fraudster fooled CIA into terror alert”. The Register (UK). Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- Yellowstone Club Divorcee Entangled in Terrorist Software Suits, Bloomberg, August 29, 2008.
- Kihara, David (June 7, 2009). “True Believers: Nevada company’s troubles entangle Gibbons, federal government”. Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- Yellowstone Club Chronicles: The Edra Blixeth Bankruptcy, by Jonathan Weber, New West, June 11, 2009.
- Who is Warren Trepp, Nevada Today, February 2008.
- The man who conned the Pentagon, by Guy Raz, All Things Considered, National Public Radio, December 19, 2009.
- Programmer conned CIA, Pentagon into buying bogus anti-terror code, Wired Magazine, December 28, 2009.
- Nevada company’s troubles, Las Vegas Review Journal, June 7, 2009
- Nelson, Steven (February 25, 2015). “Journalist James Risen Sued for Reporting Post-9/11 Contractor Was Con Man”. U.S. News & World Report.
- Klasfeld, Adam (July 18, 2016). “Risen Cleared on Labeling CIA Contractor a ‘Con Artist'”. Courthouse News Service. Archived from the original on July 19, 2016.
- FBI probes Nevada governor for corruption, by Lisa Myers & Jim Popkin, NBC News, May 11, 2007.
- on YouTube, NBC News, May 11, 2007.
- Nevada governor cleared in corruption probe, may sue, by AP, USA Today, November 3, 2008.
- Lemons, Stephen (June 4, 2014). “Joe Arpaio’s Investigating Federal Judge G. Murray Snow, DOJ, Sources say, and using a Seattle scammer to do it”. Phoenix New Times. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Joffe-Block, Jude (May 8, 2015). “Man Sheriff Joe Arpaio Hired to Investigate Federal Agencies Tries to Intervene in Contempt Case”. KJZZ. Archived from the original on May 18, 2015. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Joffe-Block, Jude (May 20, 2016). “10 Key Findings From The Civil Contempt Ruling Against Sheriff Joe Arpaio”. KJZZ.
- Santos, Fernanda (June 15, 2015). “Twists Outnumber Judges (So Far) in Case Against Arizona Sheriff”. New York Times.
- Joffe-Block, Jude (May 8, 2015). “Man Sheriff Joe Arpaio Hired To Investigate Federal Agencies Tries To Intervene In Contempt Case”. KJZZ.
- Joffe-Block, Jude (May 14, 2015). “Judge Expected To Address Informant’s Motion To Intervene In Sheriff Arpaio’s Contempt Case”. KJZZ.
- Ruelas, Richard (April 4, 2017). “Conspiracy theory tries to connect Joe Arpaio, the Obama birth certificate and Trump’s wiretap claims”. The Arizona Republic.
Tashman, Brian (March 27, 2017). “Rick Wiles: Obama Is ‘Hiding From Arrest’ In French Polynesia For Stealing Elections And Surveilling Trump”. Right Wing Watch.